What could Chiropractic possibly have to do with swine flu? More than meets the eye in fact.
We all know that when you are sick, your immune system is the part of your body that fights off viruses and nasties with all its might. Therefore it would make sense to make sure your immune system is functioning optimally while swine flu is making its rounds (in fact, it should be optimal at all times but that's for a different article). So can Chiropractic help your immune system function at its best?
Sure it can! Studies show that being adjusted once per week can increase your immune system function by up to 400%
One of the most important studies about Chiropractic and the immune system was performed by Ronald Pero, Ph.D., chief of cancer prevention research at New York's Preventive Medicine Institute and professor of medicine at New York University. It showed the positive effect that chiropractic has on the immune system for overall wellbeing and health.
On top of this we recommend several other self care tips below.
- Expose yourself to a minimal amount of media - Doom and gloom swine flu pandemic predictions cause fear, anxiety and stress which in turn affects your immune system function in a negative manner.
- Sleep - Make sure you are getting enough sleep. This is when your body does its best work. I don't need to tell you how much sleep you should be getting, only you know that.
- Toxins and drugs- Limit the amount of toxins and drugs that you ingest as this will put unneccesary strain on your body. If you smoke, now is a good time to give up. The lungs are the organ most affected by swine flu.
- Eat well - Fresh vegetables, fruit and water. Less processed and junk food. Need I say more?
- Exercise - If the gym or running along the seafront is not your thing, find yourselves a cheap 2nd hand rebounder and use it for 10 minutes a day to improve your fitness and health. The benefits on the immune system are numerous.